With its sub-tropical and sometimes dry climate, the island of St. Martin is home to some exceptional flora and fauna, which the locals go to lengths to protect.
The island’s contrasting vegetation, both arid and lush, is striking. Cactus, bougainvillea, flamboyant trees, as well as hibiscus, coconut palms, and ferns, all mix together in totally beautiful scenery.
Along the coastline and in the mangroves, find sterns, frigates, gannets, brown pelicans, and other species of birds living together, including hummingbirds and bananaquits who love to visit the gardens. Lizards and iguanas nonchalantly lounge about, sunning on the rocks.
In the interest of protecting the environment, St. Martin has been focusing on ecotourism. Hikes on foot and on horseback, mountain bike and quadbike circuits as well as kayak excursions allow you to discover the island of St. Martin without harming the natural beauty of the place.
French Side (St. Martin)
- Dream of Trails (hiking) - Marigot - +590 690 41 17 07
- La Réserve Naturelle (tours / hiking) - Anse Marcel - +590 590 29 09 72
- Loterie Farm (ziplining / hiking / pool) - Pic Paradis - +590 590 87 86 16
- Le Ranch du Galion (horseback riding) - Galion - +590 690 76 96 24
- Seaworld Explorer (marine world tours) - Grand-Case - +1 721 542 4078
- SXM E-bike (electric bicycle rental and tours) - Grand-Case - +590 690 28 84 99
Dutch Side (St. Maarten)
- Parrot Ville (bird sanctuary) - +1 721 580 8516
- Rain Forest Adventure Park (zip-lining / park) - +1 721 543 1135
- Sea Grape Tours (art / history / bird watching excursions) - +1 721 586 0297
- Sea Horse Sun (pony and horse rides) - Cole Bay - +590 690 72 18 27
- Seaside Nature Park (horseback riding / children’s zoo) - +1 721 544 5255
- Tri Sport (kayak / bike / walking excursions) - Simpson Bay/Philipsburg - +1 721 545 4384